Sunday, August 24, 2008

The not-so-fine art of recycling


Yes.. the environment. Sure, the idea of recycling is great. However, the tenants in my apartment have recently been exposed to somewhat of a shock. Going from chucking unsorted trash in a huge container (=easy and doable) to having a super neat little house with 20 different containers for everything from mom's old underwear to your sister's hairbrush, all in one day, is just too much for (lazy) people to handle. Let's face it. The human race is a lazy bunch. In the process of organising my home, I've discovered a thing or two. You must overcome the psychological barriers before you can put things back where they belong. Whether it be to put stuff that you don't use so often higher up in your cupboard, or whatever. If it's too hard work for some reason, people just simply won't do it.

The recycling house is gorgeous. It's taken me ages though to 1. buy little containers for boxes, tins and bottles. Will soon fix the last one for plastic. That's all I have space for. But what about the remaining 16 things you need to sort? How do you do that in an apartment that is 42m2? I've also spent a fair bit of time trying to figure out the most basic thing: where do you put your normal trashbag from the kitchen? There IS no container for that!

It feels easier to run for President than to chuck my rubbish. Recycling, sure, but not on these terms. It's too complicated and too much hard work for the average person.

Despite my negative outlook, I went there today, to try to learn more and maybe, just maybe feel more at ease with the whole concept. You know what? They just built it, and now, outside, there's a note reading:

"Many of you have not been using the recycling area appropriately. We have therefore decided to close it as of September 1st. Please take your trash to the other recycling house, 5 mins away, where we have cameras".

Oh, I feel so fucking inspired. We are only human after all, and people should realise that big changes aren't possible overnight. Good thinking, but not realistic. Think of the obstacles people have built-in first, before spending so much money on trying to change the world in 24 hours. I'm all for change, but it must be gradual, so that people have time to adjust accordingly.

Now, where should I put my kitchen trash bag...? *sigh*

No comments: