Friday, November 2, 2007

In Real Life?


In the future, what exactly will define the difference between different kinds of friendship? Thinking back on my social life 10 years ago, I spent alot of time with musicians, playing music together, doing what I loved doing. Then you had your true friends - friends you could call any time night or day to talk, if you needed it. Aquaintances was never a big thing for me. That, to me, also seems like a way of bragging to others how many friends you have, without actually maintaining the friendship itself. We all have aquaintances. But what I think most people want, are true, good, close friends.
Today, of course, there is the Facebook phenomenon. I signed up, being curious of the idea, but find it a waste of time sometimes. The idea of sharing a video on someone's FunWall is appealing of course, because that's what friends do. The problem occurs when you receive 10 posts from the same person (in my case, a person whom I haven't even talked to for twenty years). Those 10 posts are being mass-distributed to all the people on your friends list. You get so many of those things that it doesn't appeal anymore. The result? You have wasted an hour doing it. Instead one could have gone for a walk in the beautiful park. Or, god forbid, MET one of the friends on your list IRL!
Read an interesting article about Facebook in Swedish here.

Out of here, off to see some IRL friends now.

No comments: