Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Universal Marimekko Syndrome (UMS)


I've been thinking about it alot lately. What's that?, I hear you ask.
Well, I have this hypothesis that people who lead unhappy lives quite often end up with what I've suitably named the Universal Marimekko Syndrome.

People around me are completely obsessed by interior design and buy tons and tons of decorating magazines. DIY programmes on television are more popular than ever, and people find themselves stuck with morgages they cannot afford to pay. I, too, found myself in that same trap whilst in the house with my ex. I admit. I really have no idea what happened, in retrospect. I found myself watching the programmes, buying the magazines, thinking about exactly what colour code I needed on which wall that was to be painted, so it would fit perfectly together.

As if to make up something that wasn't there. Maybe I tried to paint up a happy picture for others to look at, as if trying to prove something to myself and others. Everyone must have Marimekko on the wall and on the kitchen table. You now must buy retro style wall paper by Boråstapeter. How about one of those... whatsitcalledagain... oh yeah, FatBoy bean bags?? Only SEK 2000. Tempted?

If your answer is "yes", I say you are stuck in the trap and got a serious case of UMS. Beware! Your life may prove not to be as happy and cheerful as you are trying to show off to others when hysterically tidying your house for the guests whilst placing your perfectly ironed marimekko table cloth on your designer table.

Advice: Go back to basics. Find out what you used to enjoy. I now have a great stereo, the Berså plates, and ONLY things that I want because I feel good with them around me. Not things that I want to show off to others in order to create an illusion of happiness, when it's not there.

Have a good think, then GET RID OF THE BLOODY MARIMEKKO, get down to business with your loved one (or if you are single like me, find some hot person and snog a bit)and tell them and other people how much you love them and care about them. Spend time in real life with your real life friends. Make sure you make close friends that will be there for you no matter what. GET RID OF THE MARIMEKKO and start living your life today.

We will all die one day. I beg to differ, but I do not want my coffin covered with a marimekko flag. Neither do I wish for those attending the ceremony to sit on Fatboy bean bags. None of those things mean anything. Trust me. I'll go for the Berså pattern on the coffin instead. Oh the irony.

No comments: