Sunday, November 11, 2007

Lindyhop at Heptown

I have tried something extraordinary. I managed to challenge myself and try out lindyhop at last night's crash course at Tangopalatset. I brought some colleagues with me: Marga, Marie and Göran, and Anna Karin. They were all fascinated by the fact that you actually feel like you have moved back in time to re-live the 20s and 30s - the dancers were amazing too. You can read about lindyhop in Malmö and retro living here. In the course, we had to switch partners every minute or so which was really good I think. I danced with someone whose name I cannot remember. He was indeed a very good leader and he claimed that he knew me from somewhere. Didn't have a chance to ask from where... We learned a basic routine, and I thought it was really fun!

Afterwards, we had a chance to practise what we had just learned to a live band and the splendid Gunhild Carling. I had never heard her before, but I'd say it was one of the best performances I've seen. That woman can do anything on stage! She is a multi-instrumentalist and even got the megaphone out for that true Billie Holiday sound. Amazing. I wanted to snog her, but since I'm not gay, I decided against it.

My friend Mårten (who got me into this in the first place) was there too, looking fabulous I must say. Very cool retro-style clothes. Who needs Harry's? Who needs Hipp? Who needs Etage? I really don't know what I've been missing. Mårten claims that once you've tried it you're hooked. It may be the case here too. Anna Karin was so fascinated by this and loved it so much that she's decided to come along to the course in February! Yay! The more, the merrier! Mårten showed me some moves afterwards. It's so much easier when you try it at your own pace and get someone to tell you how to do things. That was really nice. Below, you can hear him sing "I found a new baby". Very brave!

The evening ended with Marga's 60-something-tango-friend dancing with me for about an hour. He was a bit odd. His beard was tied up in a braid and he had a feather for when it got too hot. None the less, I got to dance some tango to swing music! :)

2 comments:

wheylona said...

Damn Liny, you one Hepgirl! You make it all sound so much fun and oh so very cool--you may convince me yet. ;-)

Lina K said...

It was! And I have always wanted to know how to dance, it's just so freeing somehow. Now, if I could regain some energy and do something useful today, that surely would be a plus... GAH! Came home at 3 in the morning.