Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Tango Journey (journal) part 3


After our little excursion to a few second hand shops and a nice lunch at a cool café, I headed of to Jericho again for my lesson number 2. Ruben started by trying two dances again. He reminded me about my right arm and said that the left one was great now. We danced some more, before he proceeded to tell me about footwork and legs. We did ochos in place, walked forwards and backwards. What I should think about was:
*Knees together
*feet should always be in contact with the floor
*whatever foot is free from the weight, keep it light so you can do the next steps with it, whatever they may be.
*when you walk, keep feet in two straight lines.
*first the leg moves, then your weight shifts - don't use your hips.

We talked today, again, about being upright, maintaining good posture, not losing frame etc. It was cool also to realise that sometimes the man/leader waits for a good while before moving. When he stops my foot so I can do the ocho, I should stop my foot against his foot before moving it over, kind of in a decisive manner but slowly. It felt better today, but it's hard to feel progress this quickly. I can feel it in my knees though.

No comments: