Wednesday, October 29, 2008

From food coma to rock n roll


Woke up late. Skipped breakfast. Larry and I went to a place called Dog-something, can't remember. We had pizza here and a very nice beer. I got a bit tipsy due to the fact that I'd had no breakfast. On top of that was a bad case of food coma, which meant I HAD to sleep all day almost.

Came to Tom and Debra's two classes again, but today at the Clarendon Ballroom. This is where they recorded their dvds, I noticed. Anyway, I was introduced as always by lovely buddy Tom. Social dancing was great and we danced to a great live band, rockabilly. The cool thing was, that when they only just started, there was a power cut, so they played in the dark, acoustically and we all loved it and danced. Tom asked me to dance 3 times and I loved every second of it. I felt confident, happy and in love with the music. Look up!, was probably the main thing about the dances, again. Dammit. I asked Debra to show me the switches and she worked with me for 15 minutes showing me how to practise. She said don't overdo it with your hips, don't turn your left foot as much and keep your knees closer together, and also move in a circle around the guy, not straight. Will practise and do my little test on Sunday.

I got a free CD from the band and I asked if I could play a song with the bass player after the show. We did "King of the Road", it was great fun. Tom and Debra went with me to the Silver Diner, and oh boy I love it there. We talked like old friends, and even though we've only really talked on skype, it feels like I've known him forever. Even Debra is very easy to talk to. My one mission tonight became to try to get Tom to see how ridiculous I think it is with people with any kind of attitude. I said "I just LOVE the music. I LOVE the music, you know what I mean?" I too have felt competitive awhile back, but after a few days you realise it's all bullshit. This dance isn't about what moves you know and can show off, what famous hotshots you know in Herräng or what music is popular to swingdance to right now. It's about loving the music, showing it with your whole body and just dive right in there, head first. Period.

Tom dropped me off at midnight and we decided we'd talk tomorrow. I probably won't see him then, but I'll go to another dance. Today I did boogie steps and dancing with Tom's jumpy style became more fun that way.

No comments: