Monday, November 3, 2008

Fred Astaire, frame disaster and Elan Dance center


I spent most of the day waiting to go to Elan Dance Center. Larry and I went for breakfast but everywhere was closed, so we ended up buying a coffee. I was dancing a bit back home too. Tom was supposed to show up at 6 but was late as always and we only had 10 minutes to talk about my dancing and dance two songs. Anyway, I will try to take his advice which was:
a. Look up, look at your partner.
b. keep your frame (I can see it's improving, but not nearly as much as I would like. How is that done??)
c. don't swivel all the time
d. give some more resistance in the right arm
e. feet under your body, don't wander.

While Tom and Debra were doing their performance group class, I asked Sue and Gary to show me the move they do, a St Louis Collegiate Shag. I filmed it. I asked Tom for a last dance and knowing he would try his silly aerials I got nervous and only thought about that, which you will soon be able to see on the video. He told me that was my worst dance and that I did much worse when I was being videotaped and that my frame in that dance was horrendous. Nice comments, huh? But very true, I can see it and I could feel it. The good part is that I know that I do better than that normally, and also it looks slightly, if not much better than the clip before Herräng. I really must do something about this. Will film another dance when I focus more on the dance than the fact that I'm dancing with Tom Koerner, so I can see for myself whether what he said was true or not. It felt like I wasn't focusing and that I was stressed about it.

Afterwards we went for pizza at UNO's. Tom took me home and we didn't make any definite plans about airport today. "Let's assume we'll see each other tomorrow". I gave him the Swedish candy and a book about Fred Astaire.

I hope I get to say goodbye today, or else I'll be a sad girl. Come to think of it, I'll be very sad girl in any case, so it doesn't matter.

No comments: