Saturday, March 22, 2008

The tango hideaway


The above image was taken with my cell phone after my first time at a tango place - a milonga. This particular place is cool because it's called "Loftet" - situated right on Lilla Torg, a small plaza in Malmö filled with nightclubs (and noisy music). In the middle of this boiling, simmering area of town, where most people here go out for a drink in a very continental fashion, we find the big crowds, noisy music, and nightclubs. If you stand in the middle and turn slightly, facing the opposite end of the plaza, you see the cutest little houses, so typical of Skåne architechture.

I went out to try out tango "for real" on Sunday, and, as I was leaving, loud music screamed at my back, but when I looked up at the little window, I heard beautiful bandoneon music from Argentina and I heard the steps of tango.

Oh my god, how cool.

No comments: