Sunday, March 30, 2008

Jean & Tom


I adore this photo! My friend Tom Koerner dancing with a swing dancing legend, Jean Veloz in Washington DC. This photo represents everything I love about this dance. Look at the joy in peoples' faces, including the two people dancing. It looks so much fun, doesn't it!? It's also great that the young look up to the dancers from way back when it all started, and learn from those people, and dance with them. There's an enormous gap between generations, at least in this country. We have so much to learn from others there. For some reason, people here tend to only hang out with people their own age. I always loved spending time with people both older and younger than myself. I think we have alot to learn from each other. Photo above was taken by unknown photographer at Toan Thai's Swing Place.

Jean Veloz is a legend and is still active in the world of swing dancing. This is a clip from her famous film, Groovie Movie (1943). Tom & Debra frequently organise the "Groovie Movie Weekend" in DC.

No comments: