Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Busking & Ode to Bruce!


I have been busking for quite a long time in the streets of Malmö, and occasionally in Copenhagen with my friend Jessica. We started out more than 10 years ago, and in recent years we haven't really done any of it because of, well, I don't know really. I remember singing the "lie la lie" bit of The Boxer for roughly 20 mins non-stop and people gave us a lot of money even though we didt sing any verses.

I have started busking with my students too. We went down there with some hot drinks and good spirits (nooo not those spirits...) the other day, as mentioned before. Whilst in uni, I wrote an essay on busking in London. I and Jonas, my classmate, went there and interviewed loads of people on the streets.

Being very fascinated by the busker-phenomenon, I could barely believe it tonight, when I saw a clip of Bruce Springsteen busking with a fan on the streets of Copenhagen in the 80s. What a generous man! So down-to-Earth even though this was at his absolute peak, career-wise. His Oklahoma home may have blown away, and I found myself being likewise.

No comments: