Thursday, May 22, 2008

Save the last dance for me

Today is a sad day. It's my last lindy hop class with Anton, in Basic 3. I have learned so much since February when I first started. I have gone to every social dance event possible since - be it Monday, Thursday or even some Saturdays and Sundays. I've taken a beginner course which lasted a weekend, where we covered the basic steps, went on to Basic 2 where we learned alot of Charleston moves, and Basic 3 is more complex and we started focusing more on the musical side of things, making the moves fit to the music. That's mostly the guy's job though. I've also taken a course in Connection with more experienced dancers, like Anton for example. I have learned very much in class, but most of all, I've become better by dancing with loads of different leaders on the social dancefloor. They have all been very nice and generous to me, and made me feel at home there. Despite the fact that I've never used my body for anything like this, I can now manage to dance quite well, considering I haven't done it for very long. I'm pleased. Some days are better than others though.

Now for the future of my dancing, I will start off by going to take courses for members of Harlem Hot Shots in Stockamöllan where Gunhild Carling is hosting her annual swing festival which lasts for three days. After that is Herräng for 3 consecutive weeks. I can't wait. I have signed up for Gothenburg Lindy Exchange in August (a weekend thing), and then, in November I'm off to see Tom Koerner and Debra Sternberg in Washington DC. I will probably have time to squeeze in a course in between, called "higher levels", in Malmö. Apart from that I will take some private lessons in Herräng. Johan at the dance suggested I take a lesson with Frida, probably the best lindy follower in the world. She will be teaching in Herräng too.

Off we go. Gosh, I really don't want this class to end. Loving it...

No comments: