Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My job is schitzofrenic

My job as a teacher is very schitzofrenic. I have to go in there and play a part, much like one of an actor on stage, performing a play in front of an audience. The best teachers, however, do have the ability to show their more humane sides. Today I had to change parts quickly. I heard someone calling out my name. It was someone at work who was in shock because a close friend of hers had just been diagnosed with cancer. She was crying. I gave her a hug and was a bit in shock too. Imagine if that happened to you? Seconds later I had to run off to a meeting with a student and her parents. Now I switch character, and have to be Lina-the-professional, who encourages, gives feedback and thinks of clever strategies for that person to succeed. In the meantime, your co-worker needs a shoulder to lean on, or someone to talk to in the adjoining room.

Sometimes I think this world spins way too fast. Worth having a think about anyway.

No comments: