Friday, December 5, 2008

Thank God it's Friday!

So, weekend once again. Great. Dancing was interesting yesterday. I added another dimension to it by wearing a new outfit - Debras pants and my pink/white shirt. People seemed to like it and it was nice to hear some kind words. I am of the opinion that people should dress up more for the dances in general, because we need people from the public to show up - a) to buy alcohol in the bar and b) watch us dance AND buy alcohol in the bar. Who is going to want to watch a bunch of people dressed as if they were in a homeless shelter? I reckon putting on a jam often would make draw more attention to the place even on nights when there is no band playing. Dressing up a bit more, respecting the 3 hours of fun as well as each other and people from the outside, I think we'd have an even better time there. Weekly jams would be inspiring for everyone, plus there would be a place for the more experienced dancers to show off a little bit. But it's such a Swedish thing - Who do you think you are? Everybody who is better must keep it to themselves. It works the same in the Swedish school system. We push the kids who barely make it, so that they do, but in the meantime, we forget about the people who are doing great, and who have talent. Who will put the effort into stimulating them?

I really think the jam on Monday was excellent, and everyone was happy and smiling afterwards. More of the same, goddammit. I know I'm not the best dancer in the world, but I do my best, and I'm not afraid to make a fool of myself, because I know that's not what people look at. It's the attitude. I.LOVE.TO.DANCE.PERIOD.

No comments: