Monday, September 22, 2008

Mindfulness

I was having a conversation with someone a few days ago about mindfulness. It reminded me, again, how important it is to stop and try to be present right here, instead of either dwelling on the past or thinking about what's to come. There's nothing you can do about the past, and sure, you can think about the future - but if you do, you risk wasting alot of precious time that you could have spent actually living your life today. I know alot of people who say that life flies by way too quickly. If you feel this way, try the things I've mentioned below for a few days. I promise, you will remember those days very clearly.

As for me, I don't think too much about what I should or shouldn't have done. I do, however, let my mind wander sometimes. Right now, for example, I think about my DC trip. So I need to get on with business in the following fashion:

A few things to try:
1. When you take your shower in the morning - how does the soap feel on your skin? Is the water hot or cold? When you feel your mind wander off, think about the above again. Force yourself to focus on those things alone.

2. When you have breakfast - What does your sandwich taste like? When you're touching it, what texture does it have? What flavours can you deceipher?

3. Walking/cycling/driving to work - look around you? Have you seen those particular trees before? How many are there? What colour are the leaves?

In short, try to just live in the moment. Feel textures, look at colours, what do things taste like? It's takes alot of pracise, but I can assure you, things will slow down, and you'll feel so much more relaxed. Things will also seem more meaningful all of a sudden, and not just this big mess of time that just seems to pass with an endless amount of activities.

Good luck! I'll start now for a few days...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bra! Små detaljer är viktiga. Ta Linnean t ex, en pytte pytte pytteliten blomma och ändå så fin :)

Du måste titta efter den för att se den.