Saturday, March 14, 2009

Is that what love is or should be like?


When I spent a year in Dobbs Ferry, New York in 1989 I was 17. It was such a great year, and oh, so exotic. I loved America, and I still love to travel there. Joe, a man I met there spent alot of time helping the homeless poor of Manhattan. We'd go on rides together called the Midnight Run, where we handed out clothes and food to the people on the streets. I remember these late nights like it was yesterday.

However, it wasn't. It's now been 19 years since I was there. I decided to write to Joe and tell him about my new found love for the dance, and the loss of a partner. He wrote me a long letter. He's now 65, and has been married twice. He had this to say about his present relationship,and it really moved me.

"We are so clearly soulmates, or adjacent hearts—or any other language for people meant to be together."

The day I find a man who has a genuine interest in listening to what other people have to say, who can really listen, and is passionate about his own and my goals and needs for the future, I won't hesitate to get married.

No comments: